Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Challenge Day 2: Short and Sweet

So, my uncle offered me a job this summer working at his restaurant and since I didn't find a job once school got out I headed down to Dothan, Alabama for over a month. I figured it would be good practice for college - living without my mama for quite a long time...

I never expected it to affect my WIP*.

I started JuNoWriMo with (what I considered) a brilliant idea about a banished mermaid and an airship. I knew there was no way I would get 50k but I was hoping over the summer I would have some time to write while I was in Dothan.

I kind of added a whole background story and about ten subplots.

I've been working with some amazing people that have given me such a good picture of how a big business kitchen works. Some of these people have seriously tough lives and they're living paycheck to paycheck and have three kids to take care of - and no spouse. But wouldn't know it just to look at them... they're upbeat and cheerful so much it makes my jawbones hurt. 

I believe everything happens for a reason and one of my sweet friends has recently taught me to be intentional about believing that wherever my writing is concerned. It hit me the other day that I would never have added that extra backbone to my story -- and had so many opportunities to make new friends that will probably end up in this new story -- if I hadn't fought back all the fears of leaving home for so long and being by myself and taken a leap of faith I suppose you could say.

 I'm getting a decent amount of wordage done on this new WIP. And I'm loving the restaurant biz. :)
Love, Kenzie
Second blog post of the week guys!!! Be impressed. ;)

*WIP = work in progress 

No comments:

Post a Comment